Aw(E)are is a project of Gommalacca Teatro selected and co-produced by Plovdiv Foundation 2019 for the celebration of Capital of Culture in Bulgaria.
The project will be developed in the city of Plovdiv, and will explore with the performative language of theatre and integrated arts, the creation of a free zone, a ritual, a symbolic action and common language that expresses the overcoming of a border.
The protagonists will be young boys and girls living in the city and district of Stolipinovo, and other areas of Plovdiv.
There is an invisible barrier between two deeply different and conflicting cultural worlds, with which we would like to try to dialogue, to invent a free zone, to enter the public and private border to explore it and make it visible to the whole city.
We will work on the language barrier, on the construction of a new common alphabet, on the exploration of invisible boundaries, and on the elaboration of a new code starting from the cultural ones of the place. We will work to ensure that the whole process becomes a common heritage. The young participants will be the authors of this process and will have the task of transmitting it in the future.
The phases from the first meeting to the final performance will begin in June 2018 and will end in January 2019, and will be between Italy and Bulgaria.
Art and theatre workshops will take place in 2018 and 2019, and the final performance is scheduled for 27 January 2019:
- AWARENESS – theatre workshops (27-29 June 2018) for young people aged 14 to 25.
- A NEW ALPHABET – theatre workshops (1-7 October 2018) for young people aged 14 to 25.
- IDENTITY AND TRANSITION – (5-11 November 2018) theatre workshops for young people aged 14 to 25.
- A FREE ZONE – (3-9 December 2018) theatre workshops for young people aged 14 to 25.
- AW(E)ARE – (21-26 January 2019) theatre workshops – preparation for the final performance, participants – children, young people, city residents, tourists.
- AW(E)ARE – (27 January 2019) final performance. Participants – children, young people, city residents, tourists.
Participation in all project activities is free of charge.
Gommalacca Teatro is the project leader and coordinates the programming of the workshop phases, relations with partners, administration, artistic direction and the preparation of the final performance.
IAC Integrated center of arts of Matera is a project partner, sharing the development of the border theme and the elaboration of the final performance.
Roma Youth Association, together with Radio Stolipinovo, is a project partner and deals with the logistics of the participants, to facilitate access to the experience for more citizens, and to host in its headquarters the laboratory activities.
IF YOU LIVE IN PLOVDIV, AND YOU ARE FROM 14>25 AGES, YOU CAN TAKE PART OF IT!
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION AND FILL THE FORM!
SEE YOU IN PLOVDIV!